Winsham United lift the  Coronation Cup for the first time in their history...

Misterton 1 Winsham United 5

Perry Street League – Coronation Cup Final

(at Axminster  – att: 118)

There was joy in south Somerset last night as Winsham United won the  Coronation Cup for the first time in their history.

None of the crowd of 118 who witnessed the match can have any doubts that the best team won after a display of fine finishing saw off a Misterton side who had their noses in front after the first quarter of the tie.

A very quiet opening, played on a superb surface at Axminster Town’s Tiger Way Ground, was ended in the 17th minute when Harry Charles was brought down just outside the Winsham penalty area and up stepped Misterton left back Callum Lacey to curl home a superb free kick that gave keeper Rui Mestrinho no chance.

But the lead last just eight minutes. A corner was swung over at the other end and referee Paul Davis pointed to the spot after consulting with linesman Craig Board who had spotted a push, and Ross Goodland made no mistake from the penalty spot.

Both sides then had decent chances; Winsham nearly edged in front moments later but were denied by a fine save from Missy keeper Dale Wood while Ben Dickinson’s low shot was diverted round the post by the boot of Mestrinho.

But it was Winsham who struck just before half time when striker John Allen surged onto a through ball before slotting into the far corner.

The killer third arrived just two minutes after the interval as Aaron Crabb stabbed the ball home after Wood had parried a first attempt before Brad Masters went close with a half volley from a corner at the far post which fizzed over the bar.

Misterton tried to respond and Jason Rendell had a low 20-yarder tipped past the upright, but the result was confirmed just after the hour mark when Allen got his toe onto a stray pass in the Missy back line and sprinted clear before calmly netting past Wood.

The scoring was completed in the 78th minute when two of the Winsham subs combined as Dan Norman showed good perseverance to beat his maker and fired in a low cross that Jordan Fowler tapped home.

Misterton: Dale Wood, Harry Manley, Callum Lacey, Chris Rowswell, Grant Symes (Capt), Jack Blunn, Jason Rendell, Harry Charles, Stuart Weston, Ben Dickinson, Jack Steer. Subs; Callum Preston, Scott Barry, Elliott Calvert.

Winsham United: Rui Mestrinho, James Male, Dan Rodber, Joe Simmons, Alex Manley, Matt Hill, Brad Masters, Aaron Crabb, John Allen, Will Bennett, Ross Goodland. Subs; Dan Norman, Ian Hylton-Barrett, Tom Stead, Jordan Fowler.

Referee: Paul Davies, Assistants; Phil Fursman, Craig Board, Fourth official; Colin Taylor.

This article first appeared in the Independent. To get the latest articles when they appear, buy the print edition every Sunday or subscribe to our online edition HERE.