Magpies have their wings clipped at Kettering Town...

Kettering Town 4 Dorchester Town 3

Evo-Stik South Premier – att; 502

Dorchester Town made the long trip back from Northamptonshire empty handed after battling away for 50 minutes of last night’s seven-goal thriller at Latimer Park.

The Magpies were given the best possible start against their play-off chasing hosts when Ash Pope slotted home at the near post after a surging run from Aaron Rodriguez.

But things took a turn for the worst for Steve Thompson’s men when centre back Ross Carmichael was sent off having collected two yellow cards just three minutes apart. The hosts immediately pounced and struck twice through Brett Solkhan and Aaron O’Connor immediately before the interval.

With the odds stacked against them Dorchester began to mount a gutsy repost and a quick fire double of their own from full back Kyle Egan and midfielder Bill Lowes saw them get their noses back in front at 3-2 with an hour played.

A string of substitutions by both sides brought fresh legs, and soon after O’Connor netted his second to square things up after 76 minutes after veteran sub Rene Howe’s shot had been parried by Chris Weale.

And it was O’Connor who cruelly snatched away a deserved point from the Magpies when he completed his hat trick deep into stoppage time.


Kettering Town: Paul White Kalem Thomas, Ben Toseland, Brett Solkhan (Ben Milnes 64), Gary Mulligan, Orrin Pendley, Lindon Meikle, Aaron O’Connor, Matt Stevens (Rene Howe 70), Michael Richens, Rhys Hoeness (Wilson Carvalho 70). Unused subs; Liam Bareman, Gary Stohrer.

Dorchester Town: Chris Weale, Kyle Egan, Neil Martin, Callum Rose, Ross Carmichael, Luke Winsper (Ollie Griggs 73), Aaron Rodriguez (Ed Bastick 73), Billy Lowes, Ashley Pope (Alex Stafie), Archie Collins, Tom Blair. Unused sub; Dom Panesar-Dower. 

This article first appeared in the Independent. To get the latest articles when they appear, buy the print edition every Sunday or subscribe to our online edition HERE.