Forton Rangers breeze to Kenny Hodges Cup success...

Forton Rangers 8 Kingsbury Episcopi 0

Kenny Hodges Cup Final

STRIKER Jake Caulstock was the star of the show as the Kenny Hodges Cup Final went with form with Perry Street League Division One promotion chasers Forton Rangers brushing aside the challenge of plucky Kingsbury who currently sit in the wrong half of Division Two.

But the match, played at the now sadly disused Drimpton pitch which was in excellent condition, was not all one way traffic.

Kingsbury, kicking down the slope in the first half, held their own for the opening 27 minutes with chances at both ends at a premium.

However, a dinked cross from Forton’s flying Spanish winger Adrian Trinidad found Andy Stevenson who battled for possession before firing home a low left footer past Joe Arkell in the Kings’ goal.

The South Somerset’s side best moment came five minutes later when skipper Ricki Aggus’ free kick forced a decent save from Rangers’ gloveman Chris Fowler.

Forton stormed down the hill after the turnaround and soon had the ball in the net only to have it ruled out for offside, then Craig Studley skewed a good chance well wide and Caulstock fired into the side netting, but the avalanche was just around the corner.

In the 54th minute a stray pass in the Kings’ back line was fed out to Trinidad who drilled in a shot that flashed past Arkell. The keeper did well two minutes later as he beat out a Stevenson shot but the rebound fell to Caulstock who tucked it away after a neat sidestep.

Three became four in the 62nd minute when playmaker Chris Warry picked out Trinidad and his cross was finished calmly by top scorer Caulstock.

The young striker completed his hat trick four minutes later when he latched on to a Lee Richardson through ball and rolled the ball under the overworked Arkell.

The pick of the goals came in the 71st minute when Caulstock rounded off an impressive four-man move with a dipping shot that glanced in off the underside of the bar.

The jet-heeled Trinidad burst through to make it 7-0 four minutes later with a shot that Arkell blocked but the ball spun back over the line.

And the winger was involved in the final goal when his long throw in was headed home by Caulstock.

Beaten, but not disgraced, Kingsbury were beaten finalists for the second year in succession, but they came up against a well organised Forton side who could yet make a late sprint for a Premier Division spot next season.

Forton Rangers: Chris Fowler, Matt Quaille, Sean Druce, Rob Webb, John Simmons, Chris Warry (capt), Adrian Trinidad, Lee Richardson, Jake Caulstock, Andy Stevenson, Craig Studley. Subs; Adam Smith, Darren Spurdle, Dave Harris, Jack Alford.

Kingsbury: Joe Arkell, Giles McGilvray, Lewis Bowditch, Jack Bateman, Ricku Aggus (capt), Adam Ordierno, Jack french, Dan Neate, Will Arkell, Jack Thompson, Nick Aggus. Subs; Nick Stacey, Ruben Stacey, Ollie Osbourne, Nigel Jefferies, Ben Dyke.


This article first appeared in the Independent. To get the latest articles when they appear, buy the print edition every Sunday or subscribe to our online edition HERE.