Haines gets reward for his Highworth service

Highworth Town secretary Fraser Haines has become the latest recipient of the Uhlsport Hellenic League’s ‘Meritorious Service Award’.

He was presented with the award by UHL chief executive Brian King before Town’s Buildbase FA Vase game with Sholing at The Elms last weekend.

Haines has been involved in football locally for over 40 years and is still a stalwart of the Wiltshire club.

He started playing for Highworth in the junior and youth sections from 1979 onwards, progressing through the reserves in the Uhlsport Hellenic League to the first team where he was a member of the side that won promotion to the Premier Division in the early 1990s.

Before finishing playing in 2000 Haines took over as club secretary, a post he still holds. In addition he also organises the club’s annual junior six-a-side tournament which is held every summer. The event celebrated its 25th anniversary this year and has to date raised over £250,000 for club funds.

King also made a presentation to the management team of Jeff Roberts and Tony Brown after Highworth were named the UHL Premier Division ‘Team of the Month’ for October. Going into yesterday’s fixtures, the team had won all 13 of their League matches so far.


Five Uhlsport Hellenic League clubs have made it through to the second round of the Buildbase FA Vase, with the next round of ties scheduled for Saturday, November 11.

They are Bracknell Town, Windsor, Royal Wootton Bassett Town, Thatcham Town and Wantage Town.

In the first round matches, Bracknell hit six without reply against Buckingham Athletic with the goals coming from Adam Cornell, (3), Karl Garstang, Liam Ferdinand and ‘T J’ Bohane.

Sam Collier and Steve Yeardley were on target as Royal Wootton Bassett Town beat Ampthill Town 2-1 and Anthony White and Jemel Johnson came off the bench to get the goals that enabled Thatcham Town to beat Horsham YMCA.

Steve Robertson netted a late winner as Wantage Town beat Cadbury Heath 4-3, and Windsor, with strikes from Kieron Knight, Luke Brooks-Smith, Ashley Smith, Ricardo Cannon and Jack Denton, won 5-2 at Flackwell Heath.

Bracknell now entertain Cray Valley from Greenwich, London in the second round while Thatcham also have home advantage over Broadridge Heath from Horsham, who are members of the Southern Combination Premier Division.

Wantage host Toolstation Western League’s Melksham Town while Windsor and Royal Wootton Bassett Town are both on their travels. Windsor go to London-based Erith Town, of the Southern Counties East League, while Bassett make the trip to the South Coast and Portsmouth club Horndean of the Sydenhams Wessex League.


Officials at Premier Division Tuffley Rovers think they might well qualify for an entry in the Guinness Book of Records after using the services of six goalkeepers in the space of 13 days.

The run started when regular stopper Dave Evans picked up a finger injury in the game against Longlevens. He was replaced by manager Mark Pritchett who then had to give way to another outfield player, Liam Wright, when he was sent off during the game.

Peter Davies stood in for the next game against Abingdon United, and for the midweek Cup tie Hallen youngster Robin Stamps stood between the sticks.

Rovers then moved to find a more permanent replacement until Evans has recovered and signed Eric Edge on a dual registration with Evo-Stick League South West’s Cinderford Town.

Edge, who has played for Cheltenham Town Youth, Cheltenham Saracens and Bishop Cleeve locally, also had a spell in the United States with FC Miami earlier in the year. He was in goal when Rovers travelled to Binfield last weekend, the game ending in a 2-2 draw.

Said manager Pritchett: “I’m pleased to bring in Eric who has signed with the consent of Cinderford. It works for both clubs. We get some cover for Dave (Evans) while he is out injured and Eric will get some game time which he’s been short of lately.”


After a successful spell at the club, goalkeeper Connor Jones has decided to stay with Division One (West) side Shrivenham for the rest of the season.

Jones, a former Swindon Town under-18s shot-stopper, moved to Shrivenham as cover for Mike Alexander, but he has played in the recent wins over New College, Swindon and Pewsey Vale that has helped the Barrington Park club move up to third place in the table.

Said Shrivenham manager Gareth Davies: “It’s fantastic news that we’re managing to keep Connor. He’s one of the best young ’keepers around and I’m sure he has a big future. I’m delighted that Shrivenham will play a part in his development.”


Experienced striker Lee Smith has been appointed club captain at Premier Division strugglers Fairford Town.

He takes over, with Ben Saunders as vice-captain, after Josh Morse announced his intentions to leave the club.

This article first appeared in the Independent. To get the latest articles when they appear, buy the print edition every Sunday or subscribe to our online edition HERE.