Champs Boco knocked out in first round tie at Frampton

LAST season’s Les James League Cup winners AEK Boco are out of the competition at the first round stage, losing 5-2 at Frampton United.

United’s Shaun Lawson hit a hat-trick at the Bell Field, putting the home side ahead after just four minutes by turning in a cross from the flank.

Lawson made it 2-0 with a terrific shot from the edge of the box, before Darren Werrett pulled a goal back with a header on 14 minutes. Lawson then completed his hat-trick before Werrett almost got a second, but Marklove saved well from the headed attempt.

Frampton made it four in the 31st minute with a cracking 30-yard drive from Ryan Vincent.

Boco got a second on 63 minutes when Werrett was brought down in the box and Liam Crewe converted the penalty.

Matt Cook got the home side’s final goal when they were awarded a penalty. Cook’s kick was saved by keeper Joe Pople but he scored from the rebound.

The end of the game was soured when Pople was sent off for kicking the ball straight at Cook following the penalty.

Last year’s losing finalists Broadwell Amateurs also crashed out, going down 5-0 at Wick.

James Hubbard got his third hat-trick of the season for the hosts, his first coming when a great through ball from Mike Hardiman sent him free to open the scoring.

Hubbard netted his second from a Dan Sheldon cross, and the visitors did get the ball in the Wick net but it was struck off for offside.

Wick made a double substitution on 63 minutes, bringing on Alex Whale and Sam Baber, and that paid off handsomely as Whale curled the ball home from a free-kick on 66 minutes.

Hubbard then completed his hat-trick in the 75th minute, and the other substitute Sam Baber netted the fifth one minute from time.

Ruardean Hill Rangers gave away a two-goal lead with ten men to draw 2-2 at home to Stonehouse Town, who won the resulting penalty shoot-out.

Right on half time a poor ball out from Robert Beebe was intercepted by Luke Johnson, who coolly slotted the ball home to give Rangers the lead. Rangers got off to a flyer in the second half and increased their lead in the first minute when a shot on goal was poorly dealt with by the Town defence and Johnson was on hand to net his second.

Town looked to get back in the game and pulled a goal back on 54 minutes when Aaron Underwood parried the first shot but Barney Jones picked up the loose ball to fire home.

Then four minutes later Kane Fellows was sent off and Town started to put the pressure on.

Town were on level terms in the 76th minute, Lee Keveren knocking the ball in after Underwood only managed to parry the first shot on goal. The game finished all square and had to be decided from the penalty spot, and Stonehouse Town go through to the next round after winning it 4-3.

Henbury are ruing the chances they had in the first half that would probably have given them a passage into the next round. As it turned out they lost the game 3-1 to visitors Thornbury Town.

The home side took the lead in the 44th minute from an Adam Rosser free-kick that was completely misjudged by the Thornbury keeper, and Jack Bebbington was left to head the ball into an empty net.

It took the visitors just a minute to level the score when Brandon Benjamin broke clear to send the ball past keeper Lewis Carr.

Thornbury took the lead on the hour mark when the Henbury wall all jumped from a Toby Bennett free-kick and the ball went under the wall and past the stranded Carr.

Town made the game safe just five minutes later from a break down the right, and Benjamin swept home the resulting cross.
Lebeq United are through to the next round after scoring four times in the second half of their game against Rockleaze Rangers, winning 4-0.

Lebeq opened the scoring in the 57th minute when Nathan Hall’s through ball was put away by Rick Davis. Four minutes later it was 2-0 as Dwaine Plummer headed home from a corner.

Davis then sent over a cross for Plummer to get his second on 65 minutes, and Plummer then gave Rick Davis the opportunity to net his second in the 80th minute. Lebeq finished the game with ten men when Ibrahima Sarr was sent of a minute later.

A convincing first victory for the Gloucester side Gala Wilton, who thrashed Southmead Athletic 6-1.

There was a hat-trick from Lee Allen and a double from Tom Dunford, with Ryan Clarke netting the other.

Kingswood started well and went on to win 3-0 at Patchway Town, while Matt Simons scored the only goal as Little Stoke triumphed 1-0 at Hardwicke.

This article first appeared in the Independent. To get the latest articles when they appear, buy the print edition every Sunday or subscribe to our online edition HERE.