Late trip costs Chard Town first win

CHARD Town were denied a first win of the season by an injury time penalty at Zembard Lane last night.

Chard Town 2 Roman Glass St George 2
Tool station Western League Division One – att; 80
CHARD, kicking up the slope, had the better of the first 20 minutes creating three half chances.

Steve Friend’s low cross was just beyond the stretching Taoufik Ben Salem, James Boyland’s pace allowed him to toe the ball past Glass’ keeper Josh Dempsey but Ben Haines’ follow-up was blocked on the line and a swift counter attack down the left involving Nick Jacobs and Boyland ended with the former just unable to get his head on the cross.

But it was an open first half. The Romans tested keeper Jon Hill with several probing crosses but Hill’s handing was once again impeccable.

The Chard stopper was beaten in the 26th minute but striker Ken Oni’s shot rebounded back off an upright.

The visitors missed a golden chance to take the lead five minutes later was Chard defender Andy Holmes was penalised for a trip in the area but skipper Jason Burt’s spot kick was beaten out by Hill diving to his right.

Three minutes before the break Brad Miles set in motion a neat third-man move for Chard but his final touch let him down and a great chance was squandered.

There was drama as the teams left the pitch as the visitors’ manager Andy Gurney, the former Swindon Town and Bristol Rovers defender, was dismissed by referee Ian Parsons for foul and abusive language which then escalated and Gurney got into a heated altercation with a home supporter.

The deadlock was broken a minute into the second half when a low Glass corner was allowed to bounce in the Chard area and Sam Wentland stooped to head the ball home.

Chard immediately rallied and drew level seven minutes later. Romans impressive centre back Dave Doe committed a trip on Boyland 22 yards out and Max Westlake stepped up to curl home a superb free kick and level things up at 1-1.

The match was now being played in a downpour with livened the surface up and made defenders twitchy.

Sure enough, on the hour mark keeper Dempsey dithered on a routine backpass, was robbed by Boyland and Friend tucked away the loose ball.

More indifferent defending at the other end resulted in Hill making a double save to deny Oni before going full length to tip away sub Joe Swift’s free kick after a trip on Jacob Watson.

With time running out Westlake went close with another free kick that just cleared the angle but there was to be that late twist.

Lewis Wentland, who had a fine game on the left flank for the visitors, took on Pat Golden who had only been on the field for five minutes and tricked his way into the corner of the area before being clearly tripped by the defender. Up stepped Swift and his resulting penalty flashed into the net.

Chard Town: Jon Hill, Max Westlake (Pat Golden 85), Ben Haines, Andy Holmes, Nick Jacobs, Luke Jackson, Kieran Bailey, Brad Miles, Taoufik Ben Salem (Capt), Steve Friend (Matt Howell 73), James Boyland (Liam Cleal 88). Unused subs; Shaun Wells-Burr, Dave Duarte.

Roman Glass St George: Josh Dempsey, Ryan Dunn, Chris Quinton, Jason Burt (Capt), Dave Doe, Sam Wentland, Rhys Hodgeson, Lewis Wentland, Ken Oni, Joe Cox, Jacob Watson. Subs; Ben Harvey, Adam Growcott, Mike York, Kris Douglas, Joe Swift.