Marcliff Gloucestershire round up 01/10/17

Southmead CS Athletic were hit by a double sucker-punch early in the second half as they fell to a 3-0 defeat to Kingswood.

The home side opened the scoring on eight minutes from a corner that fell to Jordan Sims on the edge of the box and he unleashed a tremendous drive that flew into the net.

Southmead created chances for Frank Stallard and Ricardo Dos Santos but they were denied by superb saves by keeper Chris Fox.

Another opportunity fell to Simon Hopkins, who fired just wide of the target.

But then came two goals in the space of four minutes to knock the wind out of the Southmead sails.

The first was a bullet header in the 54th minute by Matt Poole, who had got on the end of a Reece Provis cross.

A dreadful mistake by Southmead keeper Connolly Jarrett contributed to the second. Jarrett came off his line to collect a high ball but spilled it and gave Nick Bishop the simple task of knocking the ball into an empty net.

Joe Treasure bagged a brace as Wick kept the pressure on the top two with an 8-0 demolition of Patchway Town.

The opening goal for the home side came after 15 minutes when Joe Thomas’ shot was diverted into the Patchway net by Shaun Morris. A Treasure header on 27 minutes made it 2-0.

Then came three goals in the space of three minutes just before half time. James Pocock played a neat one-two with Sam Thomas be- fore hammering the ball home and a few minutes later Mark Hardiman drove a crisp shot past the visiting keeper.

Treasure popped up with his second in first-half stoppage time.

In the 76th minute it was six as Sam Thomas got in on the act.

Patchway were reduced to ten men on 80 minutes and the home side then added two more.

Mike Hardiman scored and then set up substitute Sam Baber for the eighth.

Toby Bennett was at the double as Thornbury Town maintained their challenge for the title with a thump- ing 4-0 win at Hanham Athletic.

It was Bennett who opened the floodgates on 20 minutes as his free- kick was completely misjudged by home keeper Max Heaven and found a way into net.

Then right on half-time Brandon Benjamin squeezed the ball home from a tight angle for a 2-0 Thornbury lead, which was increased further on 80 minutes when Craig Lancastle netted their third.

Thornbury keeper Tom Sheppard kept his clean-sheet intact with a fine save from Luke Simmons a couple of minutes from the end, and Bennett went on to grab his second.

After conceding four goals the pre- vious week, Stonehouse Town turned the tables with a 4-2 victory over basement boys Gala Wilton.

They had to come from behind to claim the win though as Luke Whittam gave Gala a fourth-minute lead.

Lance Reynolds levelled it up in the 38th minute, turning in an Andy Maryon cross, before Danny Stephens fired Stonehouse 2-1 ahead.

It was the Maryon-Reynolds combination that increased the lead for Stonehouse in the 59th minute with Reynolds getting his second.

Gala did create several half-chances during the second period but it was the home side who went further ahead on 84 minutes when Lee Keveren volleyed home.

Whittam got on the score sheet again at the death but it was mere consolation.

Little Stoke’s winning run was brought to a halt by a 2-1 defeat at Rockleaze Rangers.

Ali Bowyer opened the scoring for Rangers around 15 minutes into the game with a sublime chip over the visiting keeper.

Defensive errors brought a goal for both teams in the second period. On 47 minutes Rangers got in a muddle at the back and that allowed Sam Hill to pounce and level the score, but an almost identical mistake at the other end six minutes later saw Marcus Williams head home for what turned out to be the winner.

Ruardean Hill Rangers let a two-goal lead slip and had to settle for a point in their clash at Hardwicke, drawing 2-2.

Matt Barnard nodded Rangers in front on five minutes before Luke Johnson found the back of the net for 2-0.

A penalty gave the home side a way back into the game on 55 minutes as James Ratcliffe was brought down. Will Matthews netted from the spot.

Hardwicke levelled when David Matthews turned the ball into his own net from a Paul Carter free-kick.

This article first appeared in the Independent. To get the latest articles when they appear, buy the print edition every Sunday or subscribe to our online edition HERE.