Perry Street in Cup final on their return after year away

THERE was plenty of drama and a couple of surprises in last week’s Chard Hospital Cup quarter final ties.

Waytown Hounds were hammered 5-0 at their Netherbury home by a Perry Street Reserves team, who have returned to the League after a season in the Yeovil and District. Chris Fry, (2), Joe Allen, Chris Goodhew and an own goal made up The Mothers’ nap-hand.

Up at Lightgate Lane, Uplyme bowed out, beaten 3-1 by Thorncombe with just a James Souter-Phillips penalty to show for their efforts. After a goal-less first-half, the returning Lee Fisher, Liam Whitworth and Alex Clist netted for the ‘Thorns’ who could well be there or thereabouts in Division Two this season.

Elsewhere, Chard United came out on top against Misterton in the all-Premier Division clash at Jocelyn Park. Dan Potter, (2), Tom Newport and Valentini Ngwenga scored for Chard in the 4-1 win with Jack Steer on target for ‘Missy’.

The final game went to penalties with Shepton Beauchamp sneaking past host Forton Rangers, 4-4, in their second shoot-out in successive games.

The teams finished 1-1 at 90 minutes with Chris Warry scoring for Forton. Dan Smith netted for Shepton who had the bare 11 and ended the game with ten when Ben Pitman was forced off through injury after an elbowing clash.

Home keeper Mike Cossins made the vital save in the spot kicks with Aaron Sweet converting the winner.

Shepton Beauchamp, the most successful team in the competition’s history, edged past Chard United, 1-0, in the semi-finals.

Jordan Brain was fouled in the area just before half-time and Doug Whitfield made no mistake from the spot for the winner.

In the other semi, Perry Street Reserves took the lead through a Ryan Hobby penalty after a handball incident. But opponents Thorncombe were level be the break through Lee Fisher.

Josh Betty restored the Mothers’ lead only for Alex Clist to make it 2-2, 15 minutes from time.

But late strikes from Hobby and Max Patch saw Street home with Thorncombe chasing the game and probably feeling they should have at least taken the game to extra time.

The final is scheduled for Wednesday at Chard Town’s Zembard Lane Ground (7.00 pm).

This article first appeared in the Independent. To get the latest articles when they appear, buy the print edition every Sunday or subscribe to our online edition HERE.