Grandisson Cup quarter-final action...

Lyme Regis 2 Sidmouth Town Reserves 1

Grandisson Cup Quarter Final

With the Davey Fort ground still unplayable, last night’s Grandisson Cup quarter final tie was switched to Sidmouth’s Manstone Road HQ.

Despite the unfamiliar turf, Lyme started the better of the two Macron Devon & Exeter League sides although keeper Harvey Brimicombe, standing in for the unavailable Chris Higgs, did well to turn away a long range volley in the sixth minute.

The Seasiders went close at the other end when Ben Turner charged down an attempted clearance and the ball appeared to be looping into the net but the backspin on the bounce meant the danger had passed.

Turner then went close with a header from a Mark Bailey free kick before Lyme deservedly took the lead. A cross from the right was cleared by the Sidmouth defence but referee Glyn Roberts had spotted a defender’s raised arm that left Steve Batey grounded and Rob Fellingham stepped up and made no mistake from the resulting penalty kick for his first goal of the season.

But this signalled a response from the Vikings who finished the half the stronger creating the better chances. A fierce drive clipped the outside of the stanchion before they did get the ball in the net on the half hour only for referee Roberts to correctly rule the effort out for a foul on Brimicombe.

Five minutes later caretaker player-manger Bailey went close to adding a second for Lyme with a dipping free kick that was tipped over the bar by keeper Robbie Powell who marshalled his back line well all night.

Sidmouth squandered a great chance to level seconds before the interval but Ben Goodier skied his shot high over the bar when it seemed easier to score.

They had another guilt edged chance six minutes after the interval when Seasiders’ defender Kingsley Wellman was penalised for a clear handball but Man-of-the-Match Brimicombe was equal to Rikki Pitter’s spot kick and pulled off a superb save diving to his left.

And to rub salt into the wounds Lyme netted a second five minutes later when top-scorer Fred Parsons collected  the ball 25 yards from goal and unleashed a shot which took a minor deflection and dipped just under the crossbar.

Sidmouth threw caution to wind, and extra bodies forward, in attempt to get back into the tie and Brimcombe went full length to parry a volley from a free kick.

Winger Ferenc Bodor looked lively down the left flank and fizzed a couple of dangerous crossed through the Lyme six yard box.

Sidmouth eventually pulled one back 14 minutes from time following a mix-up in the line back line with Rikki Pitter forcing an own goal.

Lyme join Ottery St Mary as the first teams through to the the last four.

This article first appeared in the Independent. To get the latest articles when they appear, buy the print edition every Sunday or subscribe to our online edition HERE.