Speculation surrounding Greenslade being on Hereford’s radar is unclear

Fans of Weston-super-Mare will be keen to see Daniel Greenslade remain at the Woodspring Stadium after reports emanating in Herefordshire suggested that Hereford where keen on the defender.

Greenslade has been one of Weston’s most effective performers this season and won the ‘Man of the Match’ award as recently as last weekend with a stand-out performance in their 2-0 Vanarama National League South defeat to Welling United.

He made his Seagulls debut in a Somerset Premier Cup quarter-final tie against Bath City in February whilst on loan from Bristol Rovers. The move to North Somerset was to be made a permanent one in May.

However, Weston assistant manager Robert Boyd, jnr, said he was not aware of any interest for Greenslade and added: “If it is a contract player then until a bid is accepted there is nothing to talk about.”

Weston-super-Mare’s Independent Supporters Association spokesman Sean Burke said: “Speculation is never nice when it concerns one of your effective performers leaving the club. Hopefully the club will be able to come out and quickly dispel those rumours.

“We need to be building the side around our better players. It would be reassuring to see the club tie up the long term future of Daniel.”


Popular former Weston-super-Mare midfielder Darren Hawkins sadly passed away this week at the young age of 33.

Signed by Frank Gregan, Hawkins was part of the Weston side that started the club’s first ever foray in to National League South football in 2004 and was also a member of the squad that contested the first ever competitive fixture at the Woodspring Stadium.

Thoughts and best wishes are with the friends and family at this sad time.


Bath City have signed Opi Edwards on loan from Bristol City. The 18-year-old, who can play at right-back or in midfield, joins for an initial period of two months.


Vanarama National League South side Gloucester City have loaned striker Zachary Kotwica to Evo-Stik League South West club Salisbury for an initial period of a month.

Kotwica, who is a skilful striker with an eye for goal, re-joined Gloucester ahead of the 2016-17 season where he found the net 13 times. The 21-year-old moves to the Raymond McEnhill Stadium looking to regain that form.

He started out at Cheltenham Town where, after progressing from the youth academy, he earned first-team games during the 2014-15 season.

Cinderford Town manager Paul Michael says new club captain Andrew Lewis has an important role to play this season as they look to climb the Evo-Stik League South West table.

Lewis was handed the armband on a permanent basis after Joshua Nelmes left for Mangotsfield United, with Jack Alderdice appointed vice-captain.

The defender scored two penalties in the Foresters’ 4-2 loss to Bristol Manor Farm, and Michael says it’s important to have him in the team.

“He (Lewis) is an important player,” said Michael. “He will be disappointed with the third goal at 2-2 were he is a little bit out of position and beaten too easily, but he’s been in really good form for us in the last couple of games.

“He brings a composure when we get on the ball and brings it out really well. He starts much of what we do and he is a big character in our changing room. It’s important we have him in the team.”

Cinderford sat 12th in the table heading into yesterday’s fixtures but were only six points off the top five with a game in hand.

Michael is looking to get back to the sort of form that saw his side record consecutive victories over Totton and Wimborne Town.

“It’s a crazy, competitive league,” he said. “A number of teams around us have a game in hand, but the teams at the very top of the league and the teams in the play-off positions, we have a game in hand on them, and if we win it, we would be only three points behind them.

“Top to bottom it is so tight. It’s just about trying to put runs together when you can, because every game is so competitive.”


Two former Harrow Hill players have left Lydney Town to manage the Larksfield Road club.

Lydney skipper Jamie Addis and defender Ryan Pendrey have joined Hill from the Uhlsport Hellenic Premier Division side following outgoing manager Darren Gwilliam’s decision to step down.

Former English Bicknor boss Gwilliam left his role at Hill due to “personal commitments” following seven games with the Northern Senior One side.

Addis recently sustained a fractured jaw in a match for Lydney against Highworth and with a newborn on the way, subsequently decided to make the move into management.

“Jamie has been with the club several years and was both club and team captain at one stage,” read a Lydney Town statement. “He had also won the coveted ‘Player of the Year’ award.

“He recently sustained a fracture of the jaw against Highworth that had sidelined him for at

least three months, giving him plenty of time to ponder his future.

“With a change of commitments due to a new baby, he decided a change of tack was the way to go.

“Ryan had also been a popular member of the club and never gave anything less than 100 per cent.

He had been a first-team regular when he first signed but over the last couple of seasons had played quite a few times for the reserves.

“His knowledge of the game would have been a massive help to the youngsters in that side and he will prove a big loss.

“The club would like to wish both lads the best of luck with their new venture, and thank them for the efforts they put in to our successes during their time here.”

This article first appeared in the Independent. To get the latest articles when they appear, buy the print edition every Sunday or subscribe to our online edition HERE.