Yeovil Town overcome Barnet challenge at Huish Park...

Yeovil Town 2 Barnet 0

SkyBet League Two – Attendance; 2,455 (71 away)

Yeovil Town’s fine unbeaten home run continued at Huish Park last night as they put further distance between themselves and the drop zone with goals at each end of a nervy encounter.

Visitors Barnet, although lying bottom, came into the came buoyed by an impressive 1-0 home win over promotion-chasing Notts County on Saturday.

But they were soon rocked as the Glovers took the lead in the second minute courtesy of a Sam Surridge penalty after he himself had been clipped by giant Portuguese centre back Ricardo Santos after having brilliantly controlled Ryan Dickson’s cross.

From this platform the hosts had the better of the first half chances with Surridge grazing the outside of an upright and Jordan Green having a penalty appeal waved away by referee James Linington who had earlier passed the pitch fit to play despite concerns about a sticky area immediately in front of the dug-outs.

The Bees came out buzzing for the second half and brought the best out of the Glovers’ Geordie keeper Jonny Maddison who was given his first start of the campaign after replacing the dependable Artur Krysiak who is nursing a knee injury.

Richard Brinkley and Alex Nicholls both fired efforts just wide for the visitors before a slip by Omar Sowumni resulted in Maddison saving well to keep out a Ryan Watson shot.

Yeovil roused themselves and Jake Gray was denied twice either side of Corey Whelan firing over the bar and then having an effort blocked by Santos with keeper Craig Ross beaten.

The visitors’ made a concerted late push to grab a point and substitute Mauro Vihlete struck a post with Maddison saving the follow-up.

The home gloveman came to the fore again with superb late saves to deny David Tutonda and Brinkley before Shaquile Coulthirst’s seemed certain to score only for left back Tom James to clear the ball off the line.

But the points were sealed in a 93rd minute counter attack when second half substitute Francois Zoko picked up the ball in the centre circle shrugged off a challenge and burst through the inside right channel before netting with a low drive near the foot of the post.

Delighted Yeovil manager Darren Way said afterwards: “I’m very pleased for my players. Extremely pleased; I feel proud. My young team went up against a Barnet team that were very aggressive at times.

“We rode our luck a little bit for about ten or fifteen minutes there, where the ball bounced back off the post. But I think that when you’re down at the bottom you’ve got nothing to lose. It was almost like a game of basketball, which we knew and we talked to the players.

“There were times when if you’d stopped play, then on analysis they were playing a 4-2-4, leaving four players up front, so it was extremely difficult if you don’t win that first header. But the players are very resilient, to get the results that we’ve got, they deserve all the plaudits that they get.”


Yeovil Town: Maddison, Whelan, James, Sowunmi, Dickson, Gray, Gobern (Santos 80), Wing, Green (Browne 58), Fisher (Zoko 52), Surridge. Unused subs: Phillips, Donnellan, Bird, Seager.

Bookings: Zoko 65.

Barnet: Ross, Brindley, R.Santos, Clough, Tutonda (Blackman 84), Nicholson (Coulthirst 50), Weston, Watson, Akinola (Vilhete 72), Nicholls, Akinde. Unused subs: Legg, Plavotic, Sule, Taylor.

Bookings: Brindley 49.

This article first appeared in the Independent. To get the latest articles when they appear, buy the print edition every Sunday or subscribe to our online edition HERE.