Golden Goodship wrecks Martyrs hopes

Evo-Stik South Premier

Bob Lucas Stadium

Weymouth FC



Merthyr Town FC


BRANDON Goodship wrecked Merthyr Town’s hopes of a point at the Bob Lucas Stadium last night with a goal seven minutes from time to complete a superb hat trick writes Stuart Broom.

THE striker, who joined the Terras in the summer from Yeovil Town, made it eight goals in five consecutive games in a remarkable run which has resulted in catapulting Weymouth up to fourth place in the Evo-Stik League South Premier Division.

Both sides contributed to an absorbing game played in almost non-stop rain, which swayed back and forth as befits a game between two of the league’s top sides.

Weymouth started at a high tempo but were soon driven back by the Martyrs who had first sight of goal with full back Curtis McDonald unleashing a 35-yard shot that had Terras keeper Mark Travers diving low to hold.

The visitors took the lead on 25 minutes when Ashley Wells failed to control a long ball forward. As the ball bobbled around Ian Traylor was on hand to lift the ball over the outrushing Travers.

On the half hour, a sloppy back heel from Callum Buckley allowed Merthyr possession and when the ball reached McDonald on the angle of the penalty box he was brought down by McCarthy who received the only booking of the evening. Fortunately the free kick came to nothing.

Weymouth responded, and Ben Thomson should have done better having been put free down the left. Cutting in he had all the time to pick out colleagues on the six yard box, but his pass was behind them and the ball cleared.

A minute later Calvin Brooks got across his marker to meet Buckley’s cross, but could only prod his shot straight at keeper Oliver Davies.

Their pressure finally told five minutes before the break when Brooks was clumsily brought to ground by the chasing McDonald and Goodship stepped up to fire home the spot kick.

Travers kept the scores level going into the break after Merthyr were awarded a free kick in added time, getting across to tip Traylor’s 25-yard free kick onto the post and away for a corner.

Weymouth started the second half on the attack and two minutes in Josh Carmichael had Davies diving low to his left to clutch his 30 yard effort.

With the game ebbing and flowing it was anyone’s guess where the next goal might come from, but on 53 minutes Goodship danced past two defenders before firing a shot from the edge of the box across Davies into the corner to put Weymouth ahead.

Ten minutes it was level again with a fabulous goal. Stuart Fleetwood, making a return to Weymouth after leaving them in the summer, cut in along the byline and fired in a thunderous shot which Travers blocked with his legs and the ball rebounded fully 30 yards to Richards who thumped a first time shot that flew inside the left hand angle of post and bar giving Travers no chance.

It was a goal to savour, but not for long, as Weymouth once again went on the attack. Sub Matt Tubbs’ header from a corner was scrambled past the post, before Goodship’s deflected shot from 20 yards struck the base of the post.

Another sub Harry Baker should have done better when presented with an almost open goal but headed Goodship’s cross back the way it came.

Their persistence finally won through on 83 minutes when Tubbs chested down a cross and Goodship firmly fired home from eight yards.

Merthyr might feel slightly unlucky not to have won a point having played their part in a pulsating game, but Goodship’s marksmanship was the difference.

Terras’ manager Mark Molesley agreed that it was an entertaining game but felt his charges were worthy winners in the end.

Commenting on Goodship’s form he said: “We always knew Brandon would score goals, it’s just about getting him in the right areas at the right time. I think we’ve done that and he’s shown his quality.”

He was also quick to praise the rest of the team saying: “There were a lot of stand-out performances.”

This article first appeared in the Independent. To get the latest articles when they appear, buy the print edition every Sunday or subscribe to our online edition HERE.