Tivvy tamed by Yeovil’s Smith

YEOVIL Town comfortably swept aside Southern League Premier Division Tiverton Town in a rain drenched afternoon at Ladysmead writes Peter Hodges.

Darren Way’s side were in control from the start and despite a 10 minute spell either side of half time which allowed Tivvy to draw level, Yeovil’s defence was barely threatened as the Glovers ran out 4-2 winners.

Yeovil threatened the Tiverton back line from the start as Otis Khan teasing cross from the left hand side nearly led to Jake Gray slotting home from close range.

The ex-Luton midfielder was inches away from opening the scoring within the first five minutes.

New signing Connor Smith impressed for the Glovers and he grabbed the first goal of the game with an excellently taken strike from the edge of the box.

After good work down the right from the excellent Gray, the ball was laid back to Smith who took a touch, set himself, before curling it around Tiverton ‘keeper Martin Rice.

Ten minutes later the score was doubled after a mix up between a Tiverton defender and Rice allowed Francois Zoko to pounce on a free ball in the box and slot home, for his second goal of pre-season.

However, from the restart the home side were given glimmer of hope after Yeovil left back Tom James bundled over Tiverton winger Ben Carter, and the referee had no choice but to point to the spot much to the delight of the watching Tiverton fans.

Owen Howe stepped up and sent Artur Krysiak the wrong way as he drove the ball down the middle from 12-yards out, halving the deficit.

Krysiak was at fault for Tiverton’s second as he delayed on the ball and ended up passing the ball straight to half-time substitute Jordan Rogers who passed the ball into an empty net.

Alefe Santos came on midway through the second half and his only telling contribution was a decisive one as he smashed home a volley after a long ball from Omar Sowunmi  took out three defenders, and allowed the Brazilian-born winger his first goal since joining the club permanently.

The game was wrapped up in the closing stages after Smith, who had been handed the captain’s armband after James Bailey and Zoko had both been substituted curled a 20 yard free kick into the top corner to win the game for the Somerset side.